Friday, June 17, 2011

End-Of-Year Piano Recital

It's hard to believe, but I've just finished my fifth year teaching piano, wrapping things up last evening with our traditional end-of-year piano recital.  The weather was so lovely that I decided to do something a little different this year, hold the recital outdoors - a "Concert In The Park", if you will, the park being our front yard.  All agreed the choice of venue was lovely!

As in years past, grandparents, parents, and siblings were invited to come and hear how well their loved ones have progressed, and if I do say so myself, they all progressed a great deal and I'm very proud of them for practicing so diligently!  

Our guests were treated to everything from classical to more contempory pieces under beautiful sunny skies with just enough of a breeze to keep the mosquitoes at bay.  Afterwards, we enjoyed lemonade, watermelon, squares, and cookies. 

The Bible tells us that music fills the courts of Heaven as angels praise our Lord and Creator.  We know that when God created the world, the morning stars sang together and the angels shouted for joy.  He gave us the ability to sing and to make music with musical instruments to complement our singing. 

One of my greatest joys is to sit and play the piano, whether classical pieces or hymns of praise to God.  I'm so thankful my parents provided the means for me to learn to play this beautiful instrument, giving me a skill which I'll be able to enjoy, God willing, all the days of my life.  Because of that, I like to encourage parents to ensure music studies are part of their childrens' curriculum. We don't give children the option when it comes to math, so I often wonder why music education is optional. To my way of thinking, excellent music points to the Creator, to His creativity, to His order, so a well rounded education should include some type of music study.

Below are a few photos of last evening's concert.



~ Waiting For Things To Begin ~



~ Welcoming Our Guests ~



~  Playing Intently ~



~ Delighting The Audience ~


~ Even The Teacher Has To Play ~


~ Some of My Students ~

In addition to my sisters, I teach thirteen students, eleven children and two adults, for a total of fifteen.  With the exception of my siblings, I teach only one day per week here in our home.  I've had numerous others express interest in having me teach their children, but I prefer to keep my time commitment in this regard to just one afternoon/evening per week.  More than that would rob me of the time I need to help my mother take care of the day to day needs of our home and family.  As much as I enjoy teaching piano, I also delight in being a "keeper at home", one who tends to the needs of our household, so I enthusiastically embrace the calling of God on my life, thankful for the opportunities to use the gifts and skills the Lord has given me. 

3 comments:

  1. Your gracious model of a "keeper at home" glorifies your God and inspires this Christian sister. You have been gifted with a quiet, gentle spirit and minister with your words as well as your hands. Your family and the Kingdom are blessed indeed.
    ~ Jacqueline B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never was one for recitals. Our teacher was a very "performance driven" teacher. We weren't allowed to play form the book either. We got our pieces at Christmas for a Spring recital (April) That wasn't enough time for me, because she tried to pick a piece that was a little too hard, so it wouldn't be too easy once it was time for the recital. I never was one for memorizing quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have loved to be there! :)

    I agree with you about music and a well-rounded education. It is too bad that music is optional. Is breath optional? Is my heartbeat optional? Okay, maybe that's a little drastic, but still! ;)

    ReplyDelete